Sunday, January 18, 2009

Holy shit, they found me

As a member of society, I am in a position to analyze and critique my surroundings in a way that is both unique to my own perspective and similar to others as a human being. While I know that everyone has an opinion, for the most part I could care less what the average citizen thinks about their situation in life. That being said, I believe that every person has their place in the hierarchy of civilized mediocrity, adding to the ever-increasing karmic burden that our species will have to deal with in time.

I see my role as a social critic as an illuminator of things that sit on the outside of our vision. Whether that means unveiling shadowy feelings of dread and discontent or revealing the truly beautiful phenomena that are forgotten is dependent almost entirely on my state of mind at the time of said critique. Normally I am the kind of person that sees the bad in people but the good in situations which makes for a strange combination, but this can also lead to interesting viewpoints through contrast.

There is a definite meaning I am trying to convey through my writing: I don’t really like people. Unfortunately, I find myself in a quandary very often because I am an optimist at heart but I am also a curmudgeonly asshole quite frequently. This air of disbelief in the retardation of humanity I cultivate tends to be palpable around certain individuals or while I experience some aspects of popular culture, i.e. emo kids, reality TV, Britney Spears. I like to think people inherently understand the things I tell them about their terrible lives and why their opinions are wrong, but I always get responses of “But Mike, opinions can’t be wrong.” See, wrong again.

2 comments: